Lockdown Lunchtime – Leather Keyrings & Gift Tags
Hello welcome back to the Hide & Hammer Lockdown Lunchtime makes!
As the nights are drawing in and everything’s getting a little colder here in the UK I’m trying to find fun, quick activities to do with Eve that we can add to Christmas presents (I make the straps at work and she helps me stamp the letters… just to be clear I don’t let my 2 year old wield sharp knives and blowtorches!). I thought these would be a really good one to share with you as they’re quick and easy to do and fairly inexpensive too. It’s also a really good way to get into making things in leather if it’s something you’ve always wanted to try but you’re a little unsure how to. You need a couple more bits that with the envelope bag we made last week but that’s okay these tools will last a life time or you can share them with your friends should you all wish to make some.
To make these you will need –
- Veg Tanned Leather shoulder approximately 2-3mm thick.
- A set of letter Stamps like these ones here (I like these the font is really nice too).
- A self flat cutting mat
- A rotary cutter
- A safety Ruler
- A Strap cutter like this one here
- Bees wax block, gum tragacanthen or edge coat.
- A scrap of old denim or canvas
- A hole punch
- A split ring
- rivets or Chicago screws.
- A mallet
Additional Finishing Items
- An Edge Shave, like this one here in a size 1.
- A creaser like this one here and a way to heat it, a mini creme brûlée torch works really well.
- Edge Burnisher, a piece of antler with a smooth part or a bone folder.
Once you have the items above then you can make as many of these as you like. It may cost somewhere in the region of – £40 to £50 at the beginning if you go for the basic tool kit however they take so little leather and are so much fun to make they more than pay for themselves. You can also make with this kit – personalised notebook covers, luggage tags, personalised leather cuffs… there are so many possibilities.
Thank you so much for watching, I think the filming went okay with the two cameras last week so I’ll make sure I get the you tube video edited and uploaded soon so you can watch it there too.
Join our mailing list & hear about our updates and new products first: